Gift Department 10% Off Sale!
It’s that time again—in January and February, all items from International’s Gift Department are 10% off. It’s the perfect time to shop! Also, don’t forget about new officer pins, a new silver key with jeweled Greek-letter pendant, theRhinestone Beta Sigma Phi pin, and a lovely bracelet from Cause Jewelry International. See the August issue of The Torch for the full gift catalog, or order online or call 1-800-821-3989.
August 2016 International Convention Update
If you plan to attend the 2016 International Convention. Remember, you must have a full $100 deposit by February 15, 2015, or we can’t guarantee your attendance. But you can reserve a spot immediately by putting down at least $20 in the meantime, provided you complete the full deposit by February 15.
You must have your FULL convention registration fee payment of $300 ($200 for male guests, see below) to International by August 1, 2015. You also need to make a room reservation with the Westin Crown Center as soon as possible to get our special room rate and the type of room you prefer.
To recap convention news, it’s happening August 4-7 in Kansas City. Rate for members and female guests is $300. The rate for male guests is $200 (they’ll have meals with members except for Friday breakfast and Saturday brunch). To see all updated International Convention information and access all links currently available on our website Click here (BSP International website).
The next meeting of the Ottawa BSP City Council will be held on Thursday, November 6th, 7:30pm, at Resurrection of Our Lord Church,1940 Saunderson Dr, near Smyth Road.
- Dues are payable, if not paid, the chapter no longer has the right to participate in voting
- Money is due for payment of Fall Event tickets ($30 ea, email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve)
- Reserve tables for chapter sales at December CC meeting by emailing email@example.com
Members and guests are welcome.
Ottawa Beta Sigma Phi began in 1937. In the years since, and in the present time, members have had, and continue to have strong ties, through family members or their own service, to Parliament Hill, the Canadian Military, the Ottawa Police, the RCMP, and other emergency services. Many of our members also work and/or live in the downtown area.
I am sure all members of Ottawa Beta Sigma Phi join me in expressing our support and appreciation for those involved in, or affected by, the horrific events of yesterday. We are proud of our members, and the contribution they make to our city, and country, especially those who are serving members of the Military.
President, Ottawa Beta Sigma Phi
Join us for A FASHION AFTERNOON IN BETA SIGMA PHI – luncheon & fashion show
The October monthly meeting of the Ottawa BSP City Council will be held on Thursday, October 2nd, 7:30pm, at Resurrection of the Lord Catholic Church, 1940 Saunderson Drive, near Symth Rd.
Here are the reminders for this week’s Ottawa BSP City Council meeting:
1. The Per Member Vote on the proposed CC Budget is due at the meeting. If you cannot be at the meeting, please email your vote to either Debbie Cameron-Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org
or to Sheila at email@example.com
BEFORE the meeting on Thursday.
2. Dues of $14 per member (or $7 per affiliate member) are due and payable at the Oct CC meeting. Cheques payable to Beta Sigma Phi should be given to Patti Floysvik, the Treasurer.
3. MS Party cheques of $25 per chapter should be taken to the CC meeting, payable to Carol Dunn.
4. Tickets will be on sale for the Fall Event Luncheon & Fashion Show, Nov 22nd, 12-3pm at the RA Centre. Please one cheque per chapter, payable to Beta Sigma Phi. Debbie and/or Marilyn will be there to receive the cheques. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Phone book changes are due at the CC meeting. Wendy will be printing the books shortly, and the deadline of Thu Oct 2nd is the final date for changes before the printed book is prepared.
6. Corresponding Secretary, Jennifer Hand-Perry, welcomes donations of your excess greeting cards. Please take them to a CC meeting and leave them on the front table.
7. Bulb orders from Preceptor Alpha Theta are due
8. December CC meeting tables for selling – please contact either Debbie or Marilyn to reserve a table for your chapter to sell items at the December CC social, a good chance for Christmas shopping. Email email@example.com
9. Carol Dunn has sent this message about Entertainment books:
Please email to everyone in your chapter:For us to get $17.50 profit, we have to sell at least 35 Entertainment books this year. So far I have orders for 7. Buy one book for your chapter as a ways-and-means project. I need your support if we are going to make it.Entertainment books are half price this year (i.e. $17.50, your price, selling price of $35). This is the last year at this price. Next year the profit will only be $7.Call me at 613-596-0321 before Thursday at lunch time so that I can bring the number of books you want to the October city council meeting. Please bring the money with you.
The latest Communications from International has arrived. See the full text on our website at
Included is the latest news on the August 2016 convention in Kansas City, Missouri, excerpt below.
INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION NEWS
Convention Rates Set: Registration fees for the 2016 International Convention in Kansas City,
Missouri (Aug. 4-7, 2016) are now set. The rate for members and female guests is $300. The rate for male guests is $200 (they will have all meals with members except the continental breakfast on Friday and the brunch on Saturday). Bus transportation and tours of the International office are included in the fee. Additional tours to historic, shopping and entertainment destinations may be available on a “pick and pay” basis.
As a reminder, we need to obtain a better idea of how many guests plan to attend, as this may affect room rates. If you wish to attend (and we hope you do!) we’ll need a full $100 deposit by Feb. 15, 2015. We can’t guarantee your attendance if we don’t have your full deposit by that date. However, you can reserve a spot immediately by putting down at at least $20 in the meantime, provided you pay the full deposit by Feb. 15, 2015. As many of you who have hosted conventions know, your early deposit is extremely helpful for planning purposes.
You can make a hotel room reservation with the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center through the 85th Anniversary Convention page on our web site. Please do not call the hotel directly.
It’s almost that time again… Our first meeting of the new BSP year will be on
Thursday, September 4th, 2014, 7:30pm
Resurrection of Our Lord Church
1940 Saunderson Dr, near Smyth Road
For details, please see our Events page
Visitors are welcome. 🙂
REMINDER – 3rd annual T.G.I.W. (Thank goodness it’s Wednesday)!
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Royal Oak Centrepointe
117 Centrepointe Drive, Nepean, ON
Back by popular demand! Our third annual get-together! This event keeps on growing, so come on out and enjoy the summer with new and old freinds! Since patios are usually crowded on Fridays, why not celebrate the middle of the work week? Looking forward to seeing some new and familiar faces!
RSVP on our Meetup site at
The latest issue of our magazine, The Torch of Beta Sigma Phi, is now available, and it includes the 2014 Officer’s Planning Calendar – please share with your chapter officers.
As a reminder, all Presidents, Vice-Presidents and City Council reps should be subscribed to the mailing list. We also recommend Recording Secretaries be added, so they’ll have the info for the minutes. Some chapters add all their members, so everyone gets the information at the same time. 🙂
To add someone to the mailing list, please send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include your chapter name.
The AGM was held on May 15th, and the two notices of motion were approved: The dues for 2014-15 will be $14 per chapter member ($7 for affiliate chapter members), and the MS Christmas party will continue to be a service project.
The new executive officers for 2014-15 are:
President – Sheila Brown
1st Vice President – Julie Kerslake
2nd Vice President – Emem Idiong
Recording Secretary – Debbie Cameron Jones
Corresponding Secretary – Jennifer Hand-Perry
Treasurer – Patti Floysvik
Email All Executive Members – email@example.com